Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Anne's Apology (ch. 10)

I have to say what fun it is to read this book. Lucy Maud Montgomery isreally tickling my funny bone. Half the time I don't even know what the words mean but they make me chuckle. Like this line.

"It's a good thing Rachel Lynde got a calling down; she's a meddlesome old gossip," was Matthew's consolatory rejoinder. What is the world does consolatory rejoinder mean? I have now clue but is made me giggle. Didn't you giggle when you read that?

And later on the same page the word obdurate. Where does she find these words? Twit. I love that word too!

"That wouldn't be so hard if people wouldn't twit me about my looks, said Anne with a sigh.

Alright enough of that, here are the definitions for this chapter.

refractory-stubbornly disobedient (LOL, had no clue)
obdurate-unmoved by persuasion, pity, or tender feelings; stubborn; unyielding (hmmmm)
gable-the portion of the front or side of a building enclosed by the end of a pitched roof (knew houses had gables, but thought it was more part of the roof)
consolatory- giving comfort (obvious)
rejoinder- an answer to a reply; response (oh, duh)

I love these words!!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I have to agree with you on all these new words. I truly am enjoying learning new definitions; although, I am unlikely to remember to use them when the time comes. Obdurate. Obstinant. Same? Why use one and not the other? To show off your vocabulary? Is there a subtle difference? Hmm? What do you think?