Friday, February 6, 2009

Anne's History (Ch. 5)

So, just how nice and kind were Anne's caretakers? On page 41 (lol..in my book anyway) Marilla felt pity for the starved, unloved life Anne had had - a life of drudgery and poverty and neglect; for Marilla was shrewd enough to read between the lines of Anne's history and divine the truth. No wonder she had been so delighted at the prospect of a real home. I concur.

I did come across a word from chapter 4 but forgot about it. So I'll include it here.

abstracted - lost in thought
inculcate - teach persistently and earnestly
asylum - an institution for the maintenance and care of the mentally ill, orphans, or other persons requiring specialized assistance.

I wanted to look up the official definition for asylum because I had always thought it was only for the mentally ill.

No comments: