Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Anne's Bringing-up Is Begun (ch. 8)

Anne went and attended to the dishcloth. Then she returned to Marilla and fastened imploring eyes on the latter's face. I love the use of "latter's face" here. I don't think I've ever heard that before. It seems so much more interesting that saying "Marilla's face."

I do wish that Marilla had let her call her Aunt Marilla. However, I do agree with Marilla on one point. "When the Lord puts us in certain circumstances He doesn't mean for us ti imagine them away."

I loved the paragraph about the picture of Jesus and the children. What did you think?

fortnight - fourteen nights and days (didn't know that)

1 comment:

Tina said...

I think Anne has the insight of a child and we all could learn from her. Marilla's response of feeling Anne was being irreverent was so typical of people who have relegated Jesus to "The Son of God" and totally missed the purpose of His coming. To be a human, to feel what we feel, to overcome it all for us and wait for the day that we come to Him.

I wanted to comment on the bit where Anne asks Marilla if she ever imagines things different from what they really are. After Marilla replies "No.", Anne simply says,"Oh, Miss-Marilla, how much you miss!"

While agree that we should deal with real life and not imagine away our troubles, I feel imagination can make the mundain extraordinary and fun. While too much imaginings can be harmful, too little is just sad.
No words to look up in this chapter.