Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Solemn Vow and Promise (ch,12)

Bouncing Bets (from the Barry Garden)


According to http://home.howstuffworks.com/ Soapwort, or bouncing bet, is a European immigrant that has now naturalized over much of North America. Soapwort was brought over by the colonists to be used as a soap substitute. When bruised or boiled in water, the leaves produce a lather with detergent properties that even removes grease. The genus name refers to the Latin word sapo, meaning "soap."

Anne finally gets to meet Diana.


"Oh, Marilla, I'm frightened-now that it has come I'm actually frightened. What if she sholdn't like me! It would be the most tragical disappointment of my life."

And then Marilla..


"Now, don't get into a fluster. And I do wish you wouldn't use such long words. It sounds so funny in a little girl."


Don't we all wish out children could use long words and understand their meaning?


Vocab for this chapter:


consumption - progressive wasting of the body

tremenjusly - not a real word (I thought as much)

dryad - a divinity presiding over forest and trees

deprecatory - apologetic

No comments: