Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Matthew Cuthbert is Surprised (Ch 2)

Poor Matthew couldn't get a word in! Thankfully he didn't mind.

I'd like to share my favorite line.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive - it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?"

My what an imagination she has! I love the name "White Way of Delight" and "Lake of Shining Waters." Don't they sound beautiful?

I kept wondering where they actually were. Finally their location was divulged (I had to consult the dictionary to spell this one.)



Here is what I found when I searched for pictures of Prince Edward Island.







Avonlea is a unique village in Cavendish, Prince Edward Island where tourists can venture to and relate to the world of Anne of Green Gables.

Avonlea is a fictional village that is set around the famous novel, Anne of Green Gables that was written by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Her childhood revolved around the farming communities of Prince Edward Island and Avonlea was inspired by her life while growing up here.

While visiting Prince Edward Island, be sure to take the family to the village of Anne of Green Gables, a day of excitement taking you back a hundred years to 1908 to the life that Lucy Maud Montgomery led.

I had to define :


sundry - everybody
wincey - a plain or twilled fabric of wool and cotton used especially for warm shirts or skirts and pajamas
witch - Archaic. to affect as if by witchcraft; bewitch; charm

Now, I know what most people think of when we read the word witch. I was just curious to see the definition as it pertained here. I think Anne had bewitched him. Or, in other words, she had charmed him. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Tina said...

I loved the part when Anne and Matthew were riding up to, through and beyond "The White Way of Delight". How Anne came to a sudden stop in conversation and said,"Oh Matthew!" repeatedly and then the precious part, "It's beauty seemed to strike the child dumb...Still with rapt face she gazed afar into the sunset west, with eyes that saw visions trooping splendidly across that glowing background...She could keep silence, it was evident, as energetically as she could talk."
Priceless, just priceless!
Now I have to admit I did the same internet search trying to locate a "real" Avonlea. I was quite dissapointed that it wasn't really real, but got over it and now have an image to put with my ideal vacation.

Tina said...

A little side note. Did you know they don't allow cars on Prince Edward Island where Anne of GG was filmed? It's horses, bicycles or train, and of course you can always walk.

MyKidsMom said...

I did not know cars were not allowed. i was looking more for pictures that text. You must have done more reading than i did.