Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mrs. Rachel Lynde is Surprised (Ch 1)

Well, I finally have chapter one under my belt. I know that I am behind but I'll get caught up. My dd has decided to read with us also. She has a friend in Lubbock, Tx. that is going to read also. What a beautiful picture is painted of Green Gables.

"the big, rambling, orchard-embowered house....as far away as he possibly could from his fellow men without actually retreating into the woods....built at the furthest edge of his cleared land ...barely visible from the main road"

Sounds great to me.

I did have to look up the words embowered and betokened.

embowered - cover or surround with foliage
betokened - to give evidence of

So what is up with naming the houses? I love the names but where and why did that tradition start?

No comments: